If you own a pet, make sure you have a first aid kit at home. We recommend the following items be kept on hand in case of various emergencies:
Before you attempt anything with your new first aid kit, always make sure to speak with a poison control specialist prior to initiating any therapies at home. Never administer hydrogen peroxide to any pet without checking with a veterinary professional first, as sometimes it’s not appropriate to induce vomiting at home. Never initiate first aid or administer any over-the-counter human medications to animals without speaking to a toxicologist or veterinary professional first! If you have any questions regarding the veterinary toxicology first aid kit recommendations, please call Pet Poison Helpline.
Another important thing to keep in mind is home remedies. When it comes to our pets and poisons, we don’t want to chance endangering our pet’s lives with some made up, Internet-discovered, erroneous home remedies! We hear it all – owners who use milk, peanut butter, vegetable oil, or salt…and these remedies are all WRONG! Please know that these products should NEVER be administered as they don’t work! Consult your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline to find out:
Remember, there’s a lot of good AND bad information out there on the Web, and you must be able to separate the wheat from the chaff!
Reprinted with permission from Pet Poisons Helpline